|Communication with Parents|
Consultation with Staff
There are times set aside in the year when parents are invited to school to discuss their child’s progress with members of staff, although you are welcome in school at any time. Each child will receive two written progress reports every year.
Parent helpers are most welcome in Locharbriggs and make a positive contribution to the normal routine of the school and enable a great deal of enrichment of the school curriculum. The Education Department has drawn up a set of guidelines for schools to follow in relation to all volunteers in school. While not wishing to discourage helpers, volunteers are being asked to fill in a confidential registration form which asks that the helper agrees to the terms and conditions of the Code of Good Practice and complete a Disclosure Scotland form.I am sure that you all appreciate that these procedures do not imply that each volunteer is under suspicion, but that to ensure the safety and welfare of children we must apply the procedures to all of those in contact with them. The registration form is confidential and will be seen only by the Head Teacher and Director of Education.
How Parents can help:
· Take an active interest in your child’s school work
· Provide a quiet area where homework can be done
· Encourage the wearing of school uniform
· Ask about your child’s work at school
· Encourage your child to develop the ‘reading habit’
· Encourage punctuality and good manners
· Share with the school the responsibility for your child’s behaviour and the correction of unacceptable behaviour
· Do not hesitate to come to the school to talk over problems
· Take an active interest in school affairs – e.g. Parents’ Evenings and P T A functions
Emergency Closure of the School
Normally parents will be given notification of any changes to school hours. However, this is not always possible if the school has to close in an emergency, e.g. when the electrical supply is disrupted: the water supply fails; or because of severe weather conditions. In the event of an emergency closure, parents/carers will be notified by Groupcall through text message or telephone call, children will be kept in school until collected. Parents must not go to classrooms direct.